Depths: Waiting on God (Genesis 8:10-19)

“I will wait on Your word, oh Lord. There Your Spirit speaks, bringing life to the weary soul to the depths of me.” – Hillsong Worship🕯️

Dear likely line leaver,

Your time will come soon like how the sun depends on the moon to govern the night. On hope, set your sight. Wait for the Light to shine on you and make your wish come true.

If you didn’t get that, here’s what I mean: I’m addressing this to those who feel like giving up on waiting on God and I’m telling them to continue hoping for Him to grant their prayers. You could be waiting for the one for you, for this pandemic to end, or for you to get vaccinated. The kind of waiting I’d like to talk about is waiting on a specific instruction before you do something, much like the first one I mentioned.

Am I going to commit to this person? Is this my calling? Is this the career path I should be taking? You need a go signal first from God. Let’s learn this from the story about the great flood:

Genesis 8:10-19 (NKJV)

10 And he waited yet another seven days, and again he sent the dove out from the ark. 11 Then the dove came to him in the evening, and behold, a freshly plucked olive leaf was in her mouth; and Noah knew that the waters had receded from the earth. 12 So he waited yet another seven days and sent out the dove, which did not return again to him anymore.

13 And it came to pass in the six hundred and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, that the waters were dried up from the earth; and Noah removed the covering of the ark and looked, and indeed the surface of the ground was dry. 14 And in the second month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month, the earth was dried.

15 Then God spoke to Noah, saying, 16 “Go out of the ark, you and your wife, and your sons and your sons’ wives with you. 17 Bring out with you every living thing of all flesh that is with you: birds and cattle and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, so that they may abound on the earth, and be fruitful and multiply on the earth.” 18 So Noah went out, and his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives with him. 19 Every animal, every creeping thing, every bird, and whatever creeps on the earth, according to their families, went out of the ark.

Notice how Noah did not go out of the ark when he saw the ground was dry? He and his family stayed in the ark for almost two more months and then went out after God told him to. Before that, they were inside there for a year, waiting for the depths of water that covered the earth to decrease. If he was hasty and went out seeing only the dry surface, it might not have been good for his family and all the animals to set foot on the ground just yet. Walking on it would have been hard and messy with mud. God commanded him to go out when the whole earth was dried.

I also thought maybe they had to wait for the plants to grow, so when they let the animals go, they would have food. According to GreenMyLife (2014), green leafy vegetables takes as less as 30 days to grow.

Waiting was without a doubt the wise choice. Let’s follow Noah who acted only after hearing God’s voice.

Being a young adult, I’ve only made a few big decisions in my life so far. One being the most important was to accept Christ in the age of 13. There was no long wait for that. Once you realize you need Jesus, you have to welcome Him in your heart. You just make it official when you get baptized. I don’t remember much, but I know I wanted to accept Him officially weeks or even months before I got baptized. This isn’t one of the decisions we have to wait for because God calls everyone to do this.

I’ve mentioned earlier about one’s career. What are we to do with our lives? I took Industrial Design, and after my first semester, I figured it isn’t meant for me. I read my journal to refresh my memory about this and found that I considered shifting to Advertising Arts. What happened was I took Interior Design Engineering. In my second year, I got depressed and realized this is also not for me.

an excerpt from my journal where I refer to myself in the third person

I don’t remember if I prayerfully decided on what field to study in the first place, but not being able to recall makes me think now that I must have not had a serious conversation with God about this. Though I don’t recall the conversation (not an actual dialog) that led me to step into the path where I am now, which is majoring in English language, I have written poems exploring what I should be doing and one is a prayer to God. I even had dreams in my slumber of me being a teacher and had people telling me that I should be one, so God did shine the green light to the field I am in.

My ambition was to be a 3D animator. Drawing was my talent, but what was my hobby? I wrote diary and blog entries. I wrote for our school newspaper and became Editor-in-Chief. Now, through this blog, God answered my questions asking what I should be doing for Him. As for my profession, I’ll be teaching English online. However, with my apparently fickle mind and the way the Holy Spirit works like the wind (John 3:8), who knows what else I’ll be doing? I actually have some other things I’m working on, which, hopefully, I’ll be releasing in the future.

What I’d like for you to take from Noah’s story and mine is to look to God in everything you do. His approval is the standard you should be seeking. In constant prayer is where your mind you should be keeping. His Word is what your eyes should be daily peeping. You’ll get to know Him and know His will for you.

Patiently wait. There’s actually no line you have to fall into to talk to Him. Sometimes, it just takes a lot of things to be worked out in this earthly life for His answer to you to come. Whatever you ask for, His reply you must expect to receive. It may not be what you asked, but it’s what’s right for you; this you must believe.

With love,

Celina <3

P.S. If you are bothered by my inversions (like how “where your mind you should be keeping” is an inversion of “where you should be keeping your mind”), I apologize, but my epistles are designed to be like poetry.

 

References

GreenMyLife. (2014, January 17). Grow your Greens! Retrieved from GreenMyLife: https://www.greenmylife.in/grow-your-greens-at-home/


NextBlessed Be Your Name: Accepting Both Good and Bad in Life (Job 2:3-10)

PreviousBreak Me Down: God Seeking Us When We’re Hiding (Genesis 3:6-13)

Series 1: Genesis 1-11


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10,000 Reasons: A Compilation of Good News in 2023 (Psalm 103:1-5)

Set a Fire: Follow the Light of the World (Numbers 9:15-18, 22-23)