My Song: How God Makes Us Sing (Exodus 15:1-11)

“I’ll sing forever for You. I’ll sing forever. My life is my song for You. I’ll live forever.” – Celina 🎶

Dear soundless sulker,

Got no reason to smile? Haven’t hummed in a while? Waiting for a spring on your step? Tired of that frown you timelessly kept?

I myself am not a cheerful person, but I have found the joy that makes me sing. As my confidence grew, I’ve become the singer-songwriter-Youtuber I never thought I’d be. My source of delight is none other than the God whom the Israelites sang to after He delivered them from Egypt’s oppression.

Exodus 15:1-11 (HCSB)

Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord. They said:

I will sing to the Lord, for He is highly exalted;

He has thrown the horse and its rider into the sea.

2 The Lord is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation.

This is my God, and I will praise Him, my father’s God, and I will exalt Him.

3 The Lord is a warrior; Yahweh is His name.

4 He threw Pharaoh’s chariots and his army into the sea;

the elite of his officers were drowned in the Red Sea.

5 The floods covered them; they sank to the depths like a stone.

6 Lord, Your right hand is glorious in power.

Lord, Your right hand shattered the enemy.

7 You overthrew Your adversaries by Your great majesty.

You unleashed Your burning wrath; it consumed them like stubble.

8 The waters heaped up at the blast of Your nostrils; the currents stood firm like a dam.

The watery depths congealed in the heart of the sea.

9 The enemy said:

“I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil.

My desire will be gratified at their expense.

I will draw my sword; my hand will destroy them.”

10 But You blew with Your breath, and the sea covered them.

They sank like lead in the mighty waters.

11 Lord, who is like You among the gods?

Who is like You, glorious in holiness, revered with praises, performing wonders?

This is the first and last song in the Bible (Langham & Ferguson), well, part of it. The song goes on up to verse 18, but I chose to stop at verse 11 for brevity. Don’t worry; I’ll cover the whole song. No, I don’t mean I’ll sing it as a remake, but I’d love to use both verses 2 & 11 to be part of my songs. What I mean is I'll be giving a summary of the song's story. This is the Bible's last song as it is mentioned in Revelation 15:3.

If you have been following along this blog, you know that the previous entry is about the final plague. That’s Exodus 12 where Pharaoh let the Israelites go. Now, we’re in chapter 15 where they’re singing to God because of yet another win, which happened in chapter 14: The Israelites were camping by the Red Sea, Pharaoh’s army chased after them, God split the sea into two, the Israelites crossed through, God put the waters back together, and the army drowned.

What a miracle! “What else can I do but sing?” This is a line from my song, which I’m featuring today. “My Song” is actually inspired by the “my song” of Exodus 15:2, which is my favorite verse because of that particular phrase, calling God your song.

I love this phenomenon of a blessing we call music. “God gave us music to express what words alone cannot” (Langham & Ferguson). God truly is a genius in putting songs into composer’s hearts. People communicate their emotions through art, and music is one brilliant form of art. When I was a child, I’ve come to love music. I was in the children’s choir. The fanatic I am today started when my older brother and I watched S Club 7’s TV series, making pop my preferred genre. Now, I compose Christian pop/rock songs. Worship music is one great way to express how much I’m blessed, grateful, and joyful because of God.

I wasn’t planning on releasing “My Song” as a single, but because of this chapter, I just had to release it early. I was planning to a release an EP/mini album, which includes this song. Listen to it by playing the video below.


This song is similar to the chapter in a way that the worshipper declares to God that she (That’s me) depends on Him. She casts her cares to Him the same way the Israelites call Him their strength and their salvation.

God, You are the One who puts melodies in our hearts. You call forth praise that we may rejoice. You love hearing every sincere voice. You’re the reason to be happy. Through You, we’re in a loving harmony. May we never tire of lifting Your name. It is my desire to sing Your fame.

With love,

Celina <3


References

Langham, K., & Ferguson, J. (n.d.). Exodus 15 | My Strength & My Song. Exodus | The Rescue. Westminster, California, United States of America: Through the Word.

 

NextI Will Follow: How Christians Must Obey the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17)

PreviousPower in the Blood: Who We Must Remember (Exodus 12:12-17)

Book of Exodus series list


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10,000 Reasons: A Compilation of Good News in 2023 (Psalm 103:1-5)

Set a Fire: Follow the Light of the World (Numbers 9:15-18, 22-23)